The general objective of Technology Planning (ICTP) is to develop a plan for an enterprise for the use of Information and Communication Technology (ICT), which is both cost effective and aligned with the strategic management, and operational needs of the organization. Main areas of emphasis are:
- Application of ICT in order to obtain competitive advantage and support the organization’s operations.
- Ensuring that ICT investments are cost effective and the benefits are measured against planned goals and budgets.
- To control ICT expenditures.
- To protect the existing investment in ICT.
- To resolve conflicting demands for limited ICT resources.
The ICT process examines current application systems, current ICT infrastructure, and current management infrastructure and recommends target application systems, target technology infrastructure, and target management infrastructure.